GURGUSOVAC TOWER

 

On the river terrace above the municipal building  Gurgusovac tower is located, rectangular building, about 13 m long, 10.5 m wide, surrounded by a stone wall. There is a beautiful view of the town from the terrace of the tower.

gurgusovacka.kula
Gurgusovac tower

At the end of XVIII century, the Turks on the  place of Gurgusovac tower built settlementsurrounded by a palisade and protected by a deep moat.  A crew of about 100 Turks stayed there.

It seems that the Constitutionalist regime around 1842 this fortified building, residual from the Turks,  modified  to the tower consisting of a ground floor and two floors. This building  became very soon a prison for prominent personalities  of overthrown  Obrenovic dynasty.

High, surrounded by a stone wall, at a position that dominated over the town, with horrible stories about the suffering of its convicts, has become a symbol of the entire region and called ,, Serbian Bastille “.

Overthrowing Prince Aleksandar Karadjordjevic and constitutionalists, the National Assembly has called Milos Obrenovic from Wallachia to the throne. On the way to Belgrade Prince Milos stopped in Gurgusovac where he was officially welcomed by people. Prince commanded to burn and demolish the tower (17 January 1859), and Gurgusovac people changed the name of their small town in Knjaževac to memorize this great work of Prince.

       

 

 

THE CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

 

The construction of the church dedicated to St. George  began in 1833. The church was completed in 1835 and the bell tower with the clock was built  in 1866. The church iconostasis was painted by George Bakalović from Sremski Karlovci, a pupil of Stefan Gavrilovic, one of the most important painters of the early nineteenth century.

sv.djordje2The church of St. George

In honor of the completion of construction, Knjaz Milos  has donated to the church two bells and the Gospel (of 1805), that in 1878 a trader Ilija Jeremić (former battalion commander of Knjazevacarmy ) brought from Bulgaria.

During the Serbo-Turkish war in 1876, Knjaževac is completely burned, and the church  was also destroyed. It was reconstructed in 1878, a new iconostasis was painted by the painter Nikola Marinkovic, also from Sremski Karlovci.

The treasury of Knjaževac church keep the Gospel from 1805, silver cross from 1866 and two icons, remnants of the old iconostasis from 1835.

 

Invalid Displayed Gallery

THE TOWN MUSEUM,  HOUSE OF ACA STANOJEVIĆ

The Town  Museum is situated in the home of a radical leader Aca Stanojević. Numerous examples of current original materials, archival documents and personal belongings of Aca Stanojevic, as well as the material obtained as a gift from old Knjaževac­­’ families or individuals, make a modest but significant fund.

g1-1
The House of Aca Stanojevic

It is a cultural and historical monument of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century that evokes the ambient and time in which Aca Stanojevic lived. For the presentation of all kinds of high cultural and artistic value  items were used rooms of the upper floors, where the town’s interior is stage shown. Lower floor space is used for a variety of “non-museum ‘content: as a sales gallery, it is used as a hall for weddings, for the maintenance of literary and musical evenings, lectures and conferences.

Invalid Displayed Gallery

STARA ČARŠIJA

 

The most beautiful part of Knjaževac is its urban core, “Stara čaršija” or  ” The Old Bazaar”.

The colorful facades of commercial and artisan shops, taverns and summer gardens, reflected in the clear waters of Svrljig Timok, incorporated into modern life courses and protected as a cultural and historical heritage.

stara.carsija2
Stara čaršija

The  old bazaar of Knjazevac represents aunity consisting of buildings and the natural environment that surrounds them. The complex is located on the right bank of the Svrljig Timok, and ambient environment is made of the ranks of hilly hinterland, at whose foot was formed, and the central park, on the left bank of the river, Memorial Park.

Along today’s  Dimitrije Tucović’ quaythere are physical objects that can be divided into two parts – the upper and lower sequence. The above sequence is the oldest part of the bazaar, which consists of single-store buildings, built in the period up to 1875. They survived during the Serbo – Turkish wars from 1875 to 1878 and the great fire of 1876. During this period, many buildings were destoyed.

In the lower part there are buildings that have occurred later,too. The unity of the upper and lower part of the bazaar,deteriorated emerged the facilities made in fifties of last century, which are located at the transition between the two sub-continent, which in its architecture does not fit into the neighborhood.

Facilities of upper sequence  were the older craft and commercial shops, while the lower sequence’  buildings had shops on the ground floor and upstairs living space. The older part of the bazaar, with terrestrial objects, is inherited bazaar, downloaded from the Turks, who separated  the business from the living space. At the end of XIX and  in early XX century, originated the lower sequence of buildings  of the old bazaar.

The ground floor has always been reserved for public facilities, a floor for housing. From shopping and craft shops that once existed: Mixed goods, tailors, furriers, saddlers, cobblers …

Some of these crafts, in addition to the newer (photographic, catering), still exist today. This means that there are largely preserved remains of functional content, important for economic development and trade in the past of Knjazevac.

Invalid Displayed Gallery

DŽERVIN VILLA

 On the Dzervin  hill above the town, Džervin villa was built in 1939 modeled on the villas in the spa Karlovy Vary in the Czech Republic.

dzervinova.vila
Džervin villa

 The building is in the fourth decade of the XX century, built by the renowned Knjaževac and Belgrade innkeeper and hotelier Đorđe Cvetković.

He was the owner of well-known Belgrade restaurant “Kolarac”, and a big military supplier, a pioneer of Serbian cinematography.

The luxurious building, with ground floor, two floors and a lookout point  was internally equipped with the most luxurious furniture, which has been partly brought from the Czech Republic.

The building was surrounded by a decorative wall height of 3 meters. People  admired it  inside and out, a notable was the vineyard around the villa, with the most famous grape varieties of that time.

BRIDGES

Svrljiški and Trgoviški Timok are flowing through Knjazevac and close to the town center together they make Beli Timok.

It is often used the name of Knjaževac  ’Little Venice’  because of the town center – the old bazaar and seven bridges that cross the river and connect people.

stara.carsija
Stone bridge

Svrljiski Timok river, which flows through the very center of the town once sailed boats. Bridges are important communication ties for Knjaževac.

The most famous bridge in Knjazevac is “stone bridge”, which was designed by an engineer Borivoje Radenković 1913. At the time it was built it was the largest bridge of reinforced concrete in Serbia.

2013 as part of “Museum Night”, organized by the Homeland Museum of Knjaževac, marked  a century of existence of this bridge.

“Wooden bridge” or “bridge of love” is also interesting, also in the SvrljiskiTimok, nn which many loves flared.

Invalid Displayed Gallery

MEMORIAL PARK

” Monument to the Timok people fallen in the wars and revolution” and is the ambience, which is located in the center of the town and on the site of the former center.

spomen.park
Memorial park

This gallery of the outdoor monuments  was created according to the project of the famous architect Bogdan Bogdanovic. A special stamp to this continent gives fountain with a sculpture of the artist Petar Palavičini.

On the terrace of the river below the park was once located a stage of the festival of youth culture in Serbia. In addition to the pleasant sounds of stage performing Timok sailed boats and canoes.

Memorial  park today representsmandatory visitor station, due to the small bridge in the park offers a beautiful view of the old bazaar.

In the evening, the park is the meeting place of couples in love who enjoy  the sunset and “Twinkle” of Timok.

Invalid Displayed Gallery

 

 

>Add Comments